Monday, February 2, 2009

Contest Kits



Interiors are now finished on all kits. Painted, assembled, weathered. Seat belts were made form taking a screen capture of Eduard's photo-etch frets for French and German belts, rescaling them to 1/72 and printing on photo paper. I then cut them out and glued them to the seats. Look fine, but you can't really see my "wickerring" effect of drawing dots on the seat with a sharpie.

I drilled rigging holes, mostly with a small drill bit in my pin vise, but for some, and especially the "long" holes in the Nieuports' tailplane, I used a heated wire to melt through. I like the raised "grommet" effect that gives.

Today I sprayed CDL on the upper surfaces of the two Dr.1 wings that will be streaked. I covered those with future as well.



Also I sprayed sky blue on the undersurfaces and futured that as well. The upper wing got a coating top and bottom of a slightly darker blue, as per DSA's drawings, as did the struts and wheel covers. This is quite subtle, and can't be seen all that well from the pics. I'm also not so happy with the "colour" that the CDL comes out in the pics, either. Paint was simple craft store acrylics, thinned with Future, and sprayed. Each surface got 2 coats. The CDL was Misterkit German CDL, straight out of the bottle.




All surfaces were Futured as well and I will leave them to dry for about 48hrs. I can work on the Nieuports in the mean time.

No comments: